Friday, July 5, 2013

In Which I Come Through

On one of my promises, that is. I have some answers! 

"What is the one pleasant surprise you have found?"

Umm, that I haven’t fallen off the W-curve drop-off yet? *Knocks on wood* No, really. Everyone in Morocco is super friendly, from my host family, to most of the vendors, to the cab driver I had today who was quiet chatty (in all three languages) and didn’t seem to mind my atrocious Arabic. We managed to talk for a rather vast majority of the 20-something minute cab ride. He seemed like a rather happy person for the cab-driving profession. And then there is the food, which has all been delicious. I have not gotten tired of khubz yet. There is also, of course, the beauty (and climate!) of Rabat. It is warm, but not scalding, and there is generally sun and a breeze. (Although we have actually had weather the past few days, in the form of some clouds. Crazy, I know.) Plus the buildings and the flora and…everything is beautiful.

Yeah, that’s more than one thing, I know.

"How is it to have younger siblings? What is your favorite TV show to watch with them?"

It’s…different having younger siblings. They’re actually a lot of fun.  (I mean, aside from the natural brotherly spats. But all siblings are like that, yeah?) A rather large amount of TV is watched here, and while the kids do have certain shows that they watch, they watch a lot of the programs that Mama watches. There are a couple of Bollywood ones (you did read that right: Bollywood. They dub it into Arabic.) that are fun to watch even though I have no idea what is being said.

"Where do you like to go? Why do you like to go there?"

I enjoy going pretty much anywhere in Rabat. We went to the cliffs the other day to watch the sun set, and that was gorgeous. The day before, we sat by the river and watched the Oudayas (also as the sun set). Everything here is gorgeous, and there is a surprising amount of tranquility for a busy city. The place I go with most regularity, though, is the old medina. I live there, of course, but it’s always changing and bustling and exciting.

"Biggest difference from home that you enjoy?"

I mean, Morocco is different from the US, but it’s not like the differences are so huge that it’s a different galaxy or something. I guess if I had to go with one difference, so far it would be the food. It’s actually good here. And nearly always super fresh.

"Donde está la marina para mi barco???"

Ugh, Spanish, too? I’m frazzled enough. Umm, la marina no exista en este momento porque yo no tengo una idea completa de las marinas posibles. Este fin de semana, yo iré a Tangiers, y entonces yo buscaré una marina buena allí también. (Don't you dare judge my grammar. Or if you want to, take a language you only half know, go try learning 2.5 more at once, return to that said language, and get back to me.) 

"Have you been to Agdal at all?"


I have been in Agdal, but briefly; more passing through it than anything else. From what I understand from friends, it is a residential/upscale shopping area. Personally, I prefer the Old Medina (which is good, because that is where I live!) because there’s so much to see and do—you can never really quite see everything—and all of it is beautiful. I can try to get more information on it though, if you’d like. 

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Glad to hear out is going well. Waiting for our next newsy update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got it! Replanning my voyage to Tangiers!!! Love you bunches!!!

    ReplyDelete